Theatres in Ayrshire  ~  1800 - 2017

Music and Theatricals in 18th and 19th Century Ayrshire

Theatre Royal
Theatre Royal Ayr, now a Baptist Church magnify   Top

AyrAssembly Rooms and Town Hall. Ayr.   Magnify    Top

Early 19th CenturyDiorama
Travelling showman in Newton on Ayr (ca. 1839)  magnify   Top

1875 - 1992
Opera House
New Theatre Kilmarnock magnify   Top

Gaiety Theatre Ayr  magnify   Top


Grand Hall
Grand Hall. Kilmarnock  magnify   Top

Palace Palace Theatre Kilmarnock magnify   Top

1904 - 1999
Kings Theatre Kilmarnock  magnify   Top

ca 1910
Barrfields 03 wee
Town Hall, Prestwick  magnify   Top

1911 - 1990
Pavilion Theatre Ayr   magnify   Top

1929 - 1965
Greens Playhouse, Ayr  magnify   Top

1929Barrfields 03 wee
Barrfields Pavilion, Largs  magnify   Top

Prestwick Town HallPrestwick Town Hall magnify   Top


Concert Hall, Troon.   magnify    Top

1951 - 2010
Civic Theatre, Ayr   magnify    Top

HAC3 wee
Harbour Arts Theatre, Irvine  magnify   Top

1970 - 2013
Craigie College, Ayr  magnify   Top

Magnum Theatre, Magnum Leisure Centre, Irvine  magnify   Top

1981 - 2008
Borderline wee
Borderline Theatre, Ayr  magnify   Top

MayboleMaybole Town Hall and Garden.   magnify   Top

Girvan Baths Girvan Baths and Beach Pavilion (now demolished).  magnify   Top




In 1796, a company gave performances in Ayr in a school-room at the Wallace Tower. Beaumont's company. including a very young Edmund Kean played there in 1802.  In 1809, Beaumont moved to the empty Gibb's soapworks beside the main gate of the former Dallbair House. The next company who occupied the soap-work was managed by Montgomerie and Lacy. The well-known John Henry Alexander, of the Glasgow Theatre, acted here about this time, under the name of Master Middleton.

Henry Erskine Johnston (1777-1845) occupied these premises before moving to Content Street.   The great tragedian, Edmund Kean, appeared at these premises in 1811 and 1812.  By 1812, there were plans for a new theatre and the Content Street premises were abandoned.

This new purpose built theatre, situated at Sandgatehead, opened in 1815, under the management of Johnston who became part-owner (with the banker, James Morris) and lessee.  At the time the building was described as 'small but handsome'.   This building still stands at the top of Fort Street, and is now the Baptist Church.

This theatre, variously known as the New Theatre or the Queen's Rooms, and later the Theatre Royal, accommodated 600.   The Edinburgh company of William Murray with Mrs Harriet Siddons and the Glasgow Company under Seymour contributed to the seasonal programme in the early years. 
James Morris, part owner of the Theatre Royal, has left a record of many of the activities within the theatre between 1815 and its closure in the 1870's  He relates that Kean appeared at the Theatre Royal as Richard the Third, travelling from his home in Bute to Campbelltown and on to Ayr for four appearances in that role.

Other players known to have visited the Theatre Royal included Charles Mackay, (the inimitable Baillie Nicol Jarvie), sometime resident in Ayr and the comedian Horatio Lloyd, famous for his comic walk.  Other figures who appeared at the Theatre Royal, during those early years, include include Macready, Miss Foote, Mr. and Mrs. Wood, Miss Helen Faucit and Miss Stephens.   Gustavus V. Brooke was also in Ayr as an actor/manager.

Over the years, The theatre provided a home for music.  Both Braham and Templeton, noted tenors, appeared in the house.  Other singers of note included John Sinclair, John Wilson and Gale.

[Text based on James Morris, Recollections of Ayr Theatricals from 1809. Ayr Advertiser 1872.]

Morris also had a financial interest in a theatre in Kilmarnock between ca.1830 and 1840.

In the early 20th century the Gaiety Theatre and the Pavilion became popular centres for variety, suplemented by several cinemas that offered mixed programmes of cine and variety. The Civic Theatre, now demolished, opened in 1951, serving as a resource for local amateur groups and weekly repertory theatre. There was a theatre in Craigie College of Education from 1971 until 1985. Borderline established a theatre in the 1970 but this is now closed.



The first substantial theatre in Kilmarnock was the New Theatre (later known as the Opera House) in John Finnie Street.  Although built as a theatre with space to accommodate as many as 1200 persons, the venture was not a success and by the early years of the 20th century the house was dark. A fire destroyed the building in the late 1980s, leaving a shell now incorporated into a new structure for Council offices.

Writing in 1875, shortly after the theatre opened with a performance of Sir Walter Scott's Guy Mannering, Archibald Adamson noted:
A short distance along it [John Finnie Street] on the left stands the New Theatre, a building that far surpasses anything of its kind in the West of Scotland. It is just completed, licenced, and opened under the management of Mr William Glover of the Theatre Royal Glasgow. The interior is commodious, beautifully fitted up, and seated for 1200. Externally, it is of large proportions. The front, which is Corinthian and elaborately ornamental - is gracefully chaste.

Adamson comments further on theatrical history in the town:

It may not be inappropriate to refer to former theatres in Kilmarnock, for the drama has had several unsuccessful struggles to gain a footing in the town, not the least of which was the attempt in Back Causeway somewhere about thirty years ago [ca 1830 - 40]. This theatre- or at least the stabling that was converted into such - was a rude affair of the kind; yet nevertheless the proprietors did their best to awaken a theatrical taste in the townspeople by engaging such actors as Edmund Kean, G.V.Brooke, Macready, Charles Vernon, and others; but they did not meet with the encouragement that their efforts merited, and after struggling for some years they had to give up for want of support.

Shortly after its close a Mr Scott erected a wooden theatre near to where the railway arch now crosses Portland Street. He also secured good talent, but his exertions proved futile and like his predecessors he had to relinquish the attempt.

Its successor - a wooden one also - was opened by a Mr Bostock at the top of Langlands Brae. For a time large audiences were attracted, but gradually, in spite of stars and puffs, the interest waned and it collapsed.

Shortly it was followed by another of higher class, which was conducted by Mr Edmund Glover. It was a neat wooden erection, and occupied nearly the same spot as the last-mentioned. Success attended it for some considerable time, but gradually the audience thinned, and after struggling for two or three winters it was taken down.

The next effort worthy of notice was made by the late John Simpson and Mr Bostock in the theatre under the railway arch in Back Street, but the expense of the erection was so great that Mr Bostock grew terrified, disappeared and left Simpson to wrestle with the concern as  best he might.   For several years Simpson struggled with adverse circumstances, tried many attractions, not the least of which was his engagement of Sir William Don, Mr Parry, Mr Mortimer Murdoch, G V Brooke,

Since then, between six and seven years ago, various theatrical companies have visited the town but now that it is possessed of a theatre more worthy of support, it remains to be seen whether the Puritanical spirit of "Auld Killie" be sufficiently relaxed to give it the encouragement it deserves.

Old John Simpson, the leading spirit in the theatre under the railway arch, was a well known character, and is still spoken of with respect. He was a shoemaker to trade, but discarded the last to tread the boards, "the profession" being more congenial to his nature. He was a fair actor, and as such was a favourite with the people of Kilmarnock, and nothing gave the juveniles more pleasure than to see him killed in a piece, he having a way of his own in dying that gave universal satisfaction. Once when playing "Burke and Hare", and when simulating death on the gallows, he would have done so in earnest had it not been noticed that the prop under his feet had given way, and that he was black in the face.

He was of congenial nature, and whether in prosperity or adversity had always a kind word for everybody. When the playgoing inhabitants denied him their support he travelled the country with a booth, and in it "played many parts;" but having met with an accident whereby he lost the sight of an eye, and age and infirmity beginning to tell on him, he came to Kilmarnock , and by the kindness of a few friends was admitted to the infirmary, where after a short illness the curtain of death fell and closed the last scene of his eventful life on 21st December 1873.

Ref. Rambles Round Kilmarnock
A R Adamson (1875)
Published by T Stevenson, Kilmarnock Standard.



During the early years of the 19th Century there were theatrical performances in Irvine although the location and extent of the activities is unknown.  The following notice appeared in the Air Advertiser in the Summer of 1817.

Theatre Irvine:  Under the sanction of the Magistrates and positively for four weeks only. In a few days a Theatre will be fitted up in a most commodious manner, with a select company of comedians, most of whom have sustained the leading characters in the principal Theatres Royal of the United Kingdom. Mr Bromby (the Manager) begs leave to assure the Nobility, Gentry and Inhabitants generally of Irvine, and its vicinity, that the business of the Stage, in the variety of representation, according to his arrangements, is conducted on such a system as he humbly trusts will afford general satisfaction. Every popular Novelty will be produced in regular succession, and no effort on his or the Company's part, shall be wanting to conciliate and deserve the favour of the public.

Air Advertiser and West Coast Journal, 24th June 1817

From the early 1970s, the Magnum Leisure Centre included a theatre. The opening of the Harbour Arts Centre in the 1970s also provided a small scale venue for music and drama.


Top   ~   Go to Cultural Index