Concert Hall Images

Concert and Music Venues in Ayrshire ~ 1800 - 2016

1.  Cathcart
Top



2. <ap
Former United Presbyterian Church on N side of Cathcart Street. Depicted on 1st edition of the OS 25-inch map (Ayrshire, 1858-1878, sheet 13) and annotated 'UP Church' and only 'church' on all subsequent editions.
Top



 
Top


Top

Cathcart Street Relief Church (United Presbyterean Church), Ayr.

1.   The former Cathcart Church (United Free Church), on Cathcart Street.

Date: 2012
Photographer: © Jim Parker


2.   Extract from  1875 Town Plan showing locations of the original Cathcart Church and the New Church.

Date: 1975
Photographer: ©nls



Cathcart Street Relief Church (United Presbyterean Church), Ayr.

Ayr had many churches in the mid-eighteenth century, catering for all denominations. The new church was erected in 1810, and cost of £5,703, which would be around £210,000 today. There were a number of Free churches and United Presbyterian churches in the burgh and one of these was located in Cathcart Street; in more recent times both facilities have been known as Cathcart Church.

Many who lived in Ayr and St. Quivox parishes used to attend the ministry of Dr. Peebles of Newton, who was evangelical and decidedly popular. However, when they wanted baptism for their children, they had to seek permission from the minister of Ayr, a moderate, to allow Dr. Peebles to dispense this ordinance for them.

The parish of Ochiltree, 12 miles east of Ayr, had the ministrations of Rev. Mr. Thomson, a Relief Church minister. Many earnest people used to go there on sacramental occasions. Feeling the hardships that pressed them, it is said that they consulted Mr. Thomson as to the course they should follow, and his advice was to apply to the Relief Presbytery of Glasgow for a dispensation of ordinances. This counsel, so agreeable to their own inclinations, was speedily followed. A meeting of all friendly to the movement was held on the 26th of October 1814, and a petition drawn up accordingly.

Source: Annals and Statistics of the United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. William MacKelvie, D.D., pub. 1873.


Cathcart Street Relief Church (United Presbyterean Church), Ayr.

This is a 'B' listed building, first recorded in February 1971.

This two-storey church was built in 1816. It is rubble-built with segment-headed windows. There is a five-window frontage on Cathcart street, the centre three having a pediment. There is a centre doorway built in a Doric style, which is framed with columns and pedimented side window. Also present is a carved frieze, and a pedimented gable to Fort Street with three windows at the upper level. The roof is slated throughout. Researched and written by J. Dowling, 2002 and 22/12/04.

The building is now in residential use, having served as a DIY store for some years after closure.