Concert Halls

Concert and Music Venues in Ayrshire ~ 1800 - 2016

Prestwick  ~  Community Centre

1.  Prestwick ARts Centre
1.   Prestwick Arts and Community Centre overlooks Caerlaverock Road  Magbify  © Jim Parker.
Top



2. 
Top

3.  
Top


Top


Top


Top

Top  ~  Return to Cultural Index

Briarhill Road Arts Centre, Prestwick

Situated in Caerlaverock Road, Prestwick Public School opened in 1882 with accommodation for 350 pupils. It rapidly ran out of space and as an interim measure, the school board rented rooms in the Freemans Hall at the Cross. In 1905 two extra class room were added to the school.

The Public School fed it's pupils to Prestwick High for the first three years of their secondary education. The school was eventually closed in 1973 on the opening of a new Primary School at Kingcase at the south end of the town.  The bell from the public school was transferred to Kingcase.

The Public School building is now utilised as a Community Centre run by the local Community Council and was home to Prestwick Arts Guild for many years.

Top

[Text draws on Prestwick Schools of Yesteryear]



Briarhill Road Arts Centre, Prestwick

Prestwick Arts Guild  ~  A Brief History 1970 - 2008

Established in 1970, with the support of Prestwick Burgh Council and Ayr County Council, the Guild developed a reputation for their high quality programme offered to the local community and beyond. 

Initially, Guild activities were centred on the Town Hall but, when the building was developed for residential use, the group operated from a variety of venues before finding a home in the former public school premises in Caerlaverock Road. 

Eventually, under the management of the Region's Community Education Service, these premises became an Arts Centre for Prestwick, attracting many leisure and recreational groups to the varied range of rooms within the building.

From their very early days, the annual Open Exhibition was an important element in the Guild's programme.  This exhibition mounted in the Town hall attracted entries from many of the leading local artists and art teachers.  It also included a section for the senior pupils at Prestwick Academy. 

Following the closure of the Town hall, the exhibition was transferred to the Maclaurin Art gallery in 1978. 

This chronicler recalls a very exciting theatre presentation of Ibsen's Peer Gynt by the Pocket Theatre Company from Cumbria.  Over the years there were many other interesting and varied shows provided for the membership.

By the year 2004, space within the Prestwick Arts Centre had been rationalised and the Guild had the use of a 100 seat hall for their events.  For the musicians there was an upright Challon piano described as in excellent condition. 

Top


Creative Ayrshire acknowledges the assistance of Mike Bailey for the provision of material for this section of the website.