Troon Concert Hall and Council Chamber, from South Beach. Photograph ©Mike Bailey
2. Main entrance to the Walker Halls, from South Beach. Photograph ©Mike Bailey.
Troon Concert Hall and Walker Halls from the Esplanade. Photograph ©Mike Bailey.
4. Troon Concert Hall, stage elevation, from the north west. Photograph ©Mike Bailey.
Top ~ Return to Cultural Index
Troon Concert Hall and the Walker Halls
Located centrally within the town of Troon, in the existing conservation area, the buildings occupy a corner site fronting onto Academy Street and South Beach. The site has an open aspect across the Firth of Clyde.
Troon Concert Hall and Municipal Buildings were opened in 1933 although the initial designs were completed in 1915. Built to original designs by James Miller, the plans from 1915 were deferred until 1930, with completion in late 1932. By this time Miller was assisted by Richard Gunn.
The building was extended by Noad & Wallace c1954. It is believed that there may also be a pavilion
associated with this building but sources are unclear. There were further additions to the complex in 1973, when the Walker Halls were added. The interior of the concert hall was refurbished in 2010.
The Municipal Building and the Concert Hall are 'B listed' structures.
Some programme for events at this venue are available.
For further information, please follow this LINK
The Concert Hall
The property is arranged with the municipal offices to the front and Concert Hall to the rear and is a category 'B' Listed Building of architectural and historical interest. The Town and Concert Halls are of a neo Georgian design, constructed in 1932, with red hand-made brick and ashlar semi circular dressings in Blaxter sandstone to the ground floor openings.
The municipal office is arranged to provide office and storage accommodation on four floors being the basement, ground, first and attic floor. The Concert Hall is arranged to provide facilities over three floors being the basement, ground and first, with the Concert Hall two storeys high.
Miller was one of the most prolific Scottish architects with a career spanning more than fifty years. Having shown a considerable interest in American Architecture, he created designs in many styles during the twenties and thirties. Following his association with Gunn, as chief assistant in the practice, Miller developed a monumental English brick and stone idiom from the late 1920s, the product of a commission for Cadbury's Bournville and a competition win for Wyggeston Grammar School at Leicester; this interest is reflected in the design of Troon Concert Hall.
Troon Walker Halls
The Walker Hall facilities, including toilet provisions, storage and kitchen are single storey. The hall, stage and projection room, dressing rooms and reception room occupy a two storey section of the building to the south of the site. The 1973 Walker Hall extension is of cavity brick construction.
The Municipal Buildings were built on a site gifted by Sir Alexander Walker, grandson of the whisky magnate, Johnny Walker. Walker, who had previously employed james Miller as architect for his property at 137 Bentinck Drive, was a member of the committee planning the municipal building.
Miller's first designs date back to 1915, with a similar scheme on a larger scale. This was postponed due to the war. The final executed scheme continued the original theme, with round-arched ground floor openings, columnar doorpieces, square-headed 1st floor openings and a piended, platformed roof.
Here, Miller made clear his ability to design simply on a large scale, accommodating function within an appropriate frame. Despite a later extension, the original building remains virtually unchanged. A significant example of Miller's Neo-Georgian work, this is also one of Troon's most prominent buildings.
[Text draws on the Dictionary of Scottish Architects, Historic Scotland and South Ayrshire Council sources.]